Skip to main content

[Review] Modelcollect´s T-80UM1 "Bars" - Russia´s Snow Leopard in Braille Scale

You want something modern, that is badass but not an Abrams or a T-90? Export customers have been offered with an alternative for both in the early 2000s in form of the T-80UM1. This isn´t a really popular vehicle, so I was really pleased that we´re now able to build it in 1/72 scale from the kit I´ll review today. Let´s get started!

The vehicle:
While the T-72 series of tanks were (and still are) a huge sucess on the export-market, the most advanched tank the USSR fielded in larger numbers - the turbine-powered T-80 - wasn´t really used outside Russia. Engineers wanted to chage that in the 90s following the collapse of the Soviet Union. Now they wanted to export their high-tech vehicle and maybe even secure contracts for modernisazions of Russia´s remaining vehicles. Their product - called the T-80UM1 - was based on the then most advanched T-80 models in use, namely the T-80U and T-80UK. Having taken a look at recent conflicts around the world, they added advanched features to make the tank more protected agianst ATGMs and ambushes. That came in form of the "Arena" Defense System giving the turret a rather unique look, reaktive armor and the Shotra-1 IR-Jammer. The gun recieved an upgrade to the new 2A46M-4 gun using common parts of the older 125mm guns, but improving accuracy at long ranges. They were proposals to change the 1250hp gas turbine to a heavy-duty engine with a 1400hp.
Sadly for the designers, the tank recieved no orders.


The original vehicle at an exhibition. (Personal Note: I´ve seen two paint scemes of the tank. One seems to have a dark grey instead of the red-brown...) Source:http://www.vitalykuzmin.net/keyword/2009;tanks;exhibition/


The kit:
In its ever growing collection of T-series tanks, Modelcollect finaly releasedd the T-80UM1 together with some other T-80Us. I picked the kit up at the Intermodellbau Dortmund this year, but you can also get the kit at most modelling-stores having a Modelcollect stockpile.
As with most Modelcollect kits, it is based on their earlier T-80s, but has some new features on extra sprues as well as link and length type tracks instead of their older DS-style vinyl ones. Also included is a brass barrel as well as two sets of photoetch (one for the machinegun´s cover and one for general T-80U-series details).
In this build I will use the supplied plastic barrel, because it looks very nice and I want the brass one for my Revell T-90A.


The nicely designed box includes... well many plastic sprues. This is going to be fun.

Closer look at the turret-parts - the upper sprue is completely dedicated to the "Arena" suite.
Let´s assemble the turret then.

Our standard T-80 turret quickly becomes...
... a stronk vodka-fuelled space tenk turret 😝. Photoetch is quite fiddly... and there was a little error in the instructions regarding the "Relikt" ERA blocks.


Now onto the hull and the suspension. At least the wheels aren´t T-64-style self entranching devices...
That´s one nice little tank hull I´d say. Time to add the tracks and side-skirts.

Parts look nice so far... let´s attach them.
Am I the only one or does this look kinda spacey?


Ready for priming! Let´s see when I get that done. Hopefully soon.

Conclusion:
No matter if you´re loooking for some German E-sereis tanks or just the (maybe not so) standard stronk Russian tenk, Modelcollect´s kits are definetly worth their price. The photoetched parts are fiddly as hell but look damn impressive on the model. Also the my spare box likes those kits and maybe I´m able to scratch an upgraded T-55AM6 sometimes? If you have experience with photoetch and small parts, the kit is an enjoyable challenge to build.

Rating: 8/10 - Be aware of instructions issues, but still highly recommended!

Next one should be painting shouldn´t it? See you then,

Tom







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Review] Revell T-90A "Vladimir" - Russias Main Battle Tank in 1/72

Oh god... was lazy for two months... 😞... but I managed to get some stuff and footage to show here. So get ready for some Christmas holidays ful of modelling. So hi friends and fellow modellers! Today I want to showcase Revells 1/72 scale plastic-injection T-90A. I was thiking about trying the Zvezda or Modelcollect T-90A here, but as I ran over this little kit in a store for just 15€ I wasn´t able to widstand the temptation. The Vehicle: Developed from a modified T-72B, the T-90 was becoming Russias standard MBT in the late 90s and early 2000s. Although this design wasn´t bad in many respects, the Uralvagonzavod desin bureau started producing a new variant in 2005. This vehicle had a distinct "new" cast turret derived from the first T-90 planning-phase in the eaarly 1990s were new turrets and even a new hull were considered to be used in the future replacement for th T-72B. The Object 188 incorparated many improvements at that time, but the simpler Object 187 (bas...

[History] Object 260 - The IS-7 heavy tank

Welcome to another first-time for my on this blog. Todays subject is talking about one of our modelling subjects with an interesting story - the IS-7. Wether you´re familiar with this Russian tank or you´re asking "Waht the heck is an IS-7?", this should be quiet an interesting read. I´ll generally try to cover a subject as well history- and performance-wise as well as in modelling terms. The resulting articles will likely not be able to keep up with expert literature, but should give you a nice overview of our modelling subjects, in this case the IS-7. Let´s begin! Object 260 - the IS-7 The final form of the IS-7, photo taken in 1948. Source: Wikimedia  History: Sometimes going big is the only way to prevent going down - this definetly was the case for the Soviet Army´s heavy tanks when they faced German powerful anti-tank guns in the closing years of the war. Building heavy tanks for breaktrough role in response was a logical step concerning those challenge...

[Gallery] Trumpeter IS-7 Painting & Weathering

Hey folks! I finished Trumpeters 1/72 IS-7 yesterday! Now I´ll let you enjoy some pictures of the painting process as well as some pictures of the fininshed model. Let´s get started! First off all I sprayed the parts shown in my Built-Review with Vallejo´s Grey Primer so the paint would stick in a proper even layer. For the base-color I used Vallejo ModelAir Olive Green mixed with ModelAir Light Grey and Light Brown to achieve a somewhat worn Russian standard paint. As you may be able to see, I varied the mixture around the areas to create shades and more worn-effects on the exposed areas of the vehicle. Tracks are left off for separate painting. Speaking off which... that´s what I did next. For a dark metallic look as seen on the original vehicle at the Kubinka Tank Museum, I took Vallejo ModelColor Dunkegrau as it seemed to fit nicely into the overall base-paint. The exhausts were then painted with Humbrol Rust. For the tools on the sides I mixed myself some woody-lookin...